Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Ruffle My Tail Feathers

As promised, on to the petticoat. The pattern for this came from Fashions of the Gilded Age, by Frances Grimble. A side note, I love these books! I can spend hours hunched over them, planning and dreaming of all the pretties that are possible using the patterns before me. *Le sigh*
Anyway, back to the business at hand.


The petti as it's visualized in Fashions.

There are a few ways I scale patterns. I sometimes used the small scale drawings as a reference for draping, and in the rare case, I can use my modern block to work with flat pattern techniques. I also scale up using the apportioning scales contained in Fashions or regular units of measure, depending on what the pattern calls for. If the original is in 1/4 or 1/8 scale is will use one of two methods. I'll either transfer the small scale pattern to graph paper, add plotting points, and draft up per usual, or I use my overhead projector to enlarge it to the correct measurements.
This particular pattern is drafted in cm. (Even though we measure ininches here in the States, I always draft in cm. It's much more accurate.) After all the drafting was done, I started on the sewing.
I wanted a pretty petti, so in keeping with the pink and white theme started with the corset I used my machine to add scalloped edges and decorative eyelet stitching to each starched ruffle.


It took forever! But it was so worth the effort. The pattern itself went together like a dream, who could ask for more?


Front


Back. You can see the yarn I used to gather the ruffles hanging down on the sides. I do wish I had made the ruffles aTbit fuller.


Side

Next up, the skirt.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment